Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Get Your Beginners Speaking Immediately!

Students become more confident learning a new language when they can say and understand it at a fast pace. Getting rid of uncomfortable feelings of inadequacy or inability is an important role for ESL teachers to play. You want students comfortable, and of course, having fun with their new language. Drilling a few common key expressions set your students into the right direction and build up their confidence in learning English. Here are a few phrases to get them started:



Start with classroom expressions to help them feel comfortable in class:
How do you say______ in English?
How do you write _______?
Can you help me?
I don’t understand.
Can you repeat that, please?
May I go to the toilets, please?
Here is a game to help practice these specific phrases.
Expressions for social greetings:
How's it going?/What's up?
Are you alright? (British form of What's up?)
I´m crushing it! ( looking good, feeling good, being better than others, doing well, or having relations with other attractive people)
I can't complain. (=I have no worries or problems. I'm fine.)
I'm good. (I'm fine.)
I'm just chillĂ­n. (Easy-going, relaxed)
I'm so amped. (Excited.)
Thanks/Cheers/Ta
Bless up (= goodbye/hello)
I'm gonna dip. (I'm leaving.)
Random Expressions:
Sweet! (Awesome, really like it.)
I'm hooked on...(really interested in something)
I can't believe you got to do that I'm well jeal (I'm so jealous.)
I love your swag. Or Swag. (= being or having something cool)
OMG! That's cray-cray. (Short for crazy)
Rude Expressions:
Kick rocks. (Get lost! Leave.)
How rachet! (Someone being rude, loud, or obnoxious.)
Bye, Felicia. (you say to someone who is leaving that you don't like or care about. Calling them Felicia means you don't care to know their name. They are unimportant.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a resource for teachers in ESL. To help the community, please leave comments about other ideas that have worked for you, or how some of these ideas have been successful in your classroom. Thank You.